Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, May 19, 2023

Black Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin

 


Black Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin is described as a slow burning, beautifully written novel of survival and hope - a novel of suspense.

Julia Heaberlin is a gifted writer and adds bits of humor to otherwise suspenseful situations.

"I almost died three hours ago on I-45 . . . A truck driver a hundred feet in front of our car had skidded on a patch of ice into a perfect jack-knife . . . All  I could think for six seconds, while Bill and I hurled toward a picture of a giant pink confetti-sprinkled donut, was, Is it all going to come  down to this?"

From the cover:
As a sixteen year old, Tessa Cartwright was found in a Texas field, barely alive amid a scattering of bones, with only fragments of memory as to how she got there. Ever since, the press has pursued her as a lone surviving "Black  Eyed Susan" the nickname given to murder victims because of the yellow carpet of wildflowers that flourished above their shared grave.