Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, July 17, 2020

Love and Ruin by Paula McLain

Paula McLain is drawn to strong female characters and Martha Gellhorn's affair with Ernest Hemingway with a backdrop of Madrid during the Spanish Civil War lends itself to a fascinating story. Love and Ruin begins when Martha Gellhorn was 28 years old in 1937. She met Ernest Hemingway and he encouraged her to become a war correspondent. The Spanish Civil War hasn't been a historical time that I was familiar with, although I knew Ernest Hemingway was in Spain and somewhat involved. Love and Ruin gives a good birds eye view of the war between the Republicans and Nationalists seen through the eyes of Martha Gellhorn, a journalist who went on to become one of the greatest war correspondents.