Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Saturday, July 25, 2020

In the Beauty of the Lilies by John Updike

I have been going through my pile of unread books (I don't feel comfortable venturing into the library with Covid 19 still swirling around)  and came across In The Beauty of the Lilies by John Updike. It is a family saga of the Wilmot family beginning in 1910 New Jersey and ending in 1990. In addition to the loves and lives of the family, John Updike gives us a backdrop of American history through WWI, the Spanish Flu and the Great Depression. His detailed descriptions place the reader in the midst of the family. This was one of my favorite reads this year where I enjoyed being immersed in a novel and small town America, unlike many of the newer works which seem to rush you through without taking the time to explain or describe the surroundings.