Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, April 3, 2020

Chances Are by Richard Russo

Richard Russo is one of my favorite authors and I was fortunate to come across Chances Are - a signed first edition, at a book sale. With the library currently closed because of the Coronavirus pandemic I'm going through the shelf of unread books I have acquired.

The story is told between three college friends: Teddy, Lincoln and Mickey who, now in their sixties, return to the summer home of Lincoln's mother in Martha's Vinyard. They each reminisce about their time on Memorial Day weekend in 1971 before Mickey was scheduled to be drafted during the Vietnam War. Along with the three friends, Jacy, who each of the boys was in love with stayed for a while but left the seaside home and was never seen again. Each of the men has different memories of their week-end and Lincoln, while reconnecting with the older men, is also reviewing this as a last farewell to the house his mother loved before it is sold.