Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, April 12, 2024

Garlands of Gold by Rosalind Laker

 




Garlands of Gold is a historical romance novel by Rosalind Laker. Although not a genre I normally read, I did find it an interesting setting in both Holland and England after the Royal family (Charles II) had been reinstated on the throne of England following the civil war and Puritan rule of Oliver Cromwell.  

Saskia is employed as a lady's maid in Rotterdam to an English family after her mother's death. She continues making her mother's beauty concoctions which she studiously records in a journal (she calls them receipts which apparently was a word used instead of recipes at the time). She falls in love with the son and is delighted to follow him to England with her mistress, but she soon discovers her love is unrequited and in an effort to become independent begins selling her beauty products.