Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Sunday, October 16, 2022

The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy

 


Most of Thomas Hardy's stories I've seen in movie productions, but I've decided to start reading some of the classics. 

The Mayor of Casterbridge starts with Michael Henchard,  in a drunken stupor, selling his wife Susan and their child to a passing sailor. Regretting his decision, he vows to abstain from alcohol for 21 years. His wife and child settle into their life until the death of the sailor. Susan finds that Michael Henchard has become the mayor of Casterbridge and has never married another. This all seems to be a happy ending in the making but relationships are not as they seem to be and there many secrets uncovered. 

You can download the free e-book at Gutenburg.org