Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, May 20, 2022

Myself My Enemy by Jean Plaidy


 Myself My Enemy by Jean Plaidy is an historical fiction of Henrietta Maria of France who married Charles I of England. The royal family believed in divine right - that they were put in place by God to rule the country and governed with the idea that they could do no wrong. Unfortunately, Charles I subjects didn't share his view and after tumultuous years where they were taxed heavily for lavish spending of the court and their concerns that his Roman Catholic Queen, Henrietta Marie, would influence him and return England to Catholic Rule, the Puritan Oliver Cromwell seemed to be a radical and welcome change. Going from one extreme of royal opulence to the basic Puritan religion didn't last long, but to make sure Charles I didn't try to regain his throne, he was beheaded, leaving Henrietta Marie without a country or a title. She had refused to be crowned Queen of England because she would not set foot in a Protestant church. But she was a powerful influence over those around her and despite living in a protestant country, tried to influence the children and others to the Catholic faith. Eventually, their son, Charles II returned to England without the need to gather an army and became King of England.