Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, February 4, 2022

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

 


Fredrik Backman has written quite a few books since I read A Man Called Ove but his first book is still my favorite. I really liked Anxious People though and always love the way he forms a community with the mostly unlikely of people. Kindness comes in various forms and each flawed character still finds ways to show kindness to others.

A failed bank robbery across the street from an apartment complex brings drama to a real estate agent who is conducting an open house in one of the apartments. The bank robber, looking for somewhere to hide, stumbles into the crowded apartment and reluctantly causes a hostage situation. Bring in two policemen (father and son) who have very different views on solving the problem, along with one of the hostage negotiators from Stockholm who is stuck in traffic, and the problem continues to grow. But in the midst of it all, the hostages get to know each other and the life struggles that each of them is dealing with.