Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, June 25, 2021

A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier

 A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier is set in the English city of Winchester. In 1932 after both a brother and her fiance has died during WWI Violet Speedwell is living with her mother in Southampton. Finding a way out of her situation with an overbearing mother and still grieving, she accepts a transfer with the insurance company she works for as a typist and moves to Winchester. A visit to the cathedral brings her in contact with a group of broderers who were making cushions and kneelers. She finds friendships within the group. I liked the story set in an old city with explanations of the work and the workings of the cathedral, but after a while I found myself skipping the numerous explanations of both the embroidery and the bell ringing - it distracted from the path Violet Speedwell was taking.