Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, October 18, 2019

The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg

Those we consider family aren't necessarily the ones we are born with and Elizabeth Berg, in The Story of Arthur Truluv, puts together a mismatch of people who are each looking for love and mourning the loss of someone.

I'll start off by saying that this is going on my list of favorite reads for this year and I think would open up a lot of conversation for book clubs. The only addition I wish had been in the book is recipes for Lucille's delicious concoctions.

From the cover:
For the past six months, Arthur Moses's days have looked the same: He tends to his rose garden to Gordon, the cat, then rides the bus to the cemetery to visit his beloved late wife for lunch. The last thing Arthur would imagine is for one unlikely encounter to utterly transform his life.
Eighteen year old Maddy Harris is an introspective girl who visits the cemetery to escape the other kids at school. One afternoon she joins Arthur - a gesture that begins a surprising friendship between two lonely souls. . .   

Note: This reminded me a little of A Man Called Ove, but without the grumpiness!