Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, April 19, 2019

Tomorrow There Will be Apricots by Jessica Soffer

Tomorrow There Will be Apricots was one of the books I picked up at the Friends of the Library book sale.
The book cover starts off with This is a story about accepting the people we love.  But I found the book to be mostly about a troubled teenager, Lorca, trying to obtain the love of her mother through recipes for her mother's ideal meal which she made in the hope of obtaining that love. The title of the book comes from an Arabic saying Tomorrow, apricots may bloom. Lorca turns her frustrations to self harm/cutting and although Jessica Soffer tries to let the reader into the mind of a child who harms themselves this way, I found it very difficult to understand why someone would turn to this. Drugs and alcohol which many people turn to provides a temporary numbing of pain, rather than inflicting more.

According to information on a number of web sites, self harm is a mechanism for lack of coping skills and is grouped with eating disorders, and post traumatic distress disorder.