Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, February 17, 2012

The Charmed Circle by Catherine Gaskin

I haven't read a Catherine Gaskin book for ages so when I found this in a yard sale I picked it up quickly. The story is set in war time Britain and follows the story of three sisters born to an actor father and a mother who is a concert pianist. Julie is the more prevalent sister who takes on the task of keeping their manor house and farmlands productive during the war years and eventually becoming a Hollywood actress and finally moving to a decaying Scottish Castle.
The backdrops of England and Scotland during the war years involve the reader in a family's struggles to survive when everything is in short supply and women are taking on roles that were previously only occupied by men. Of course, thrown in are a few love stories.