Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, May 3, 2019

Florence Grace by Tracy Rees

Tracy Rees captures the essence of 1850s life both in Cornwall and London in her novel Florence Grace.

Florrie Buckley, an orphan, lives with her grandmother on the moors of Cornwall but at fifteen she finds she is related to a wealthy London family - the Graces. She struggles to learn the rules of a strange world - a world full of family secrets.

My thoughts: I was a little disappointed that most of the story took place in London and not Cornwall, but nevertheless, it was an intriguing story of family mystery. At over 500 pages, it was a little longer than I usually like to read and I felt could have been condensed considerably. While being wealthy in 1850s England may have seemed enticing, with all the rules and regulations, the numerous adornments and undergarments and restrictions for women, it was probably a very frustrating existence for a young lady, especially one used to running shoeless on the moors of Cornwall. The London air alone would have been stifling for someone used to the sea breezes and open fields around Truro.