Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, November 2, 2018

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles sets us in the midst of 1920s upheaval in Russia when the aristocrats find themselves in less than desirable circumstances after the Bolsheviks take over.

Count Alexander Rostov is sentenced to house arrest in an attic room at the grand Metropol hotel. Having led a life of elegance and privilege, the Count finds himself dealing with the lack of servants and his normally accustomed living under the Imperial Romanov rule which he does with humor and finds himself adapting to his circumstances. He watches, through his small attic window, the results of the Revolution unfold.

My thoughts: I must admit, I didn't finish the book, I found it a little tedious, but I think it may be timing and intend to go back and read it again. I always find it fascinating when characters are set amidst major events and we can see how people survived through turmoil and out of their normal comfort zone. The book has great reviews and was on many best seller lists for quite a long time.

Kenneth Branagh is in the process of producing a film based on the book.