Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, September 21, 2018

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

I normally don't read books out of series order, but in Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny, Inspector Armand Gamache is visiting a friend in Old Quebec and as I had planned a visit to Quebec City I thought it would be a great read to take with me. Unfortunately, I didn't see the Morrin Centre Literary and Historical Society of Quebec where most of the events take place.
As always in Louise Penny's books, the mystery in Bury Your Dead is enticing to the reader and with lots of history and descriptions of sites around Quebec City it's even more entertaining.

In Bury Your Dead, Inspector Gamache is recuperating after a disturbing event and visits a friend, Emile, in Quebec City. Some of his time is spent walking his friend's dog, Henri. Some is spent at the Literary and Historical Society where the English residents congregate and dogs are welcome. It is here that a body is discovered - Augustin Renaud who had been searching for the remains of Samuel de Champlain and is himself discovered by a telephone repairman in the basement of the Historical Society building where there are remnants of the original 1700s prison. Of course, Inspector Gamache can't help but become involved in the murder mystery.