Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, June 22, 2018

My Story - Roman Invasion by Jim Eldridge


The Scholastic My Story collection is a great way to introduce children to historical events. They are viewed through the eyes of a child. I recently purchased a My Story set for my grandchildren, but find them just as enjoyable as they do.
Roman Invasion by Jim Eldridge covers the Roman occupation of Britain during AD 84 when a young British boy, a prince of the Carvetii tribe, is captured and observes the Romans building a road across Britain. (the Stanegate Road), with great engineering expertise, while they held off attacks by the Brigante tribes. The road was built for ease of the Roman army to march and set up attacks in an attempt to capture the north of England. Forts were built within a days march of each other (about 13 miles) to ensure soldiers had somewhere to rest. Hadrians Wall  was later built parallel to the road. The Roman army consisted of not only Romans but those they had captured given the choice of joining the army or death. Many of England's main roads are built on the remnants of the Roman roads and many more are being discovered using Lidar data The Romans also left behind written details of Celtic tribes that existed in England during the occupation. The first invasion by Julius Caesar was 55 BC and invasions and occupation continued until the end of Roman rule around AD 435.
My Story

Roman Britain