Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, September 29, 2017

The Agincourt Bride by Joanna Hickson

The Agincourt Bride by Joanna Hickson is an inside look (through the eyes of a wet nurse, Mette) into the French Court of Charles VI the turbulence that follows his reign, and his daughter Catherine de Valois.

My thoughts:
I love historical novels and the Agincourt Bride introduced us to the French court through a commoner. I did think the story might have been more insightful if it had been interspersed with Catherine herself as the narrator, but Joanna Hickson did a good job at letting the reader know about the controversies and life during the reign of the Valois family. I did note that the cover is very similar to the cover of The Forbidden Queen by Anne O'Brien. The model is wearing the same clothes and crown and may be a good follow up read to the Agincourt Bride.
The Forbidden Queen is released in Italy on 24th February 2015 as La ...


From the cover:
When her own first child is still born, the young Mette is pressed into service as a wet nurse at the court of the mad king, Charles VI of France. Her young charge is the princess, Catherine de Valois . . . As Catherine approaches womanhood, her position seals her fate as a pawn between her brother, the Dauphin, and the Duke of Burgundy.