Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, March 31, 2017

Iced Under by Barbara Ross

I saw Iced Under as a recommendation on another blog and picked it up at the library not realizing it was part of the Main Clambake Mystery series. But Barbara Ross did a great job at introducing the characters to a new reader seamlessly and it can definitely be read as a stand alone book.

From the cover:
The snow is deep in Maine's Busman's Habor and the mighty rivers are covered in ice. Snowdon Family Clambake Company proprietor Julia Snowden and her mother, Jacqueline, are hunkered down for the winter when a mysterious package arrives - heating up February with an unexpected case of murder. . .

My thoughts:
I enjoyed this cozy mystery and especially liked the characters. I also liked how Ms. Ross threw in some history about ice companies and how they operated (before refrigeration) by cutting the winter ice from rivers, packing it in straw and sending it south to hotter regions. I did get a little confused with all the family ancestors and descendants when she started working on the family tree and found myself mapping out a family tree on paper to figure out how everyone was related. Definitely another book to add to my 2017 favorite read list.