Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, March 18, 2016

The Forever Girl by Alexander McCall Smith

The Forever Girl was a little different from the famous No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books and had no quirky characters like Mme Ramotswe that Alexander McCall Smith has a gift for creating. It was, instead, a book about relationships, both those of children/teenagers and of their parents. The Cayman Islands give a beautiful and colorful backdrop to the story, contrasted with the dismal skies and gray stone buildings of Scotland. He also gives us insight into living on a small Caribbean island, with its rich residents and poor workers (who mostly come from Jamaica). Although I always like Alexander McCall Smith's writing, I would have liked some of the other characters developed a little more, that of the Jamaican house help for example rather than focusing on the self indulgent rich.

3 comments:

Nan said...

I haven't heard of this. Will look into it.

K9friend said...

I'm not familiar with this author, but the setting certainly sounds wonderful.

Pat
Critter Alley

So many books, so little time said...

Heard so much about this author but have yet to read anything by them. Have one of my tbr, should try and bump it up.

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net