Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, February 12, 2016

Bryson City Tales by Walt Larimore, M.D.

I found Bryson City Tales at a book sale as I'm always attracted to covers with country villages. In the early 1980s, Dr. Walt Larimore started his career in the small town of Bryson City set in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina and Bryson City Tales are stories of his life as a country doctor - his first "baby" delivery was a heifer!

The book reminded me of James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small with tales of country living and the close knit community both helping and hindering a new doctor. This is definitely one for my favorite book list.

From the cover:
The little mountain hamlet of Bryson City, North Carolina offers more than dazzling vistas. For Walt Larimore, a young "flatlander" physician setting up his first practice, the town presents its peculiar challengers as well. Schooled in the latest medical technology, the eager doctor-his wife, Barb, and a two-year-old daughter, Kate, in tow - is about to discover that there are some things in rural practice for which medical school just hasn't prepared him. His patients will often be his best teachers, and his classroom will range from hospital corridors and smelly barns to homey kitchens and mountain streams.