Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, January 8, 2016

Redemption by Frederick Turner

I'm still going through some of the books I picked up at the local library for sale by the Friends of the Library. At 10 cents each they were a bargain. It also meant that I picked up several books that I might not normally read and Redemption was one of those. For more details, take a look at the Kirkus Review.

My thoughts:
Times were hard for practically every one of the working class in 1913 New Orleans and the book covers a district where there was a mixture of alcohol, gambling, and whorehouses. There aren't normal sized chapters throughout the book, but it is broken down into characters who frequent and work in Storyville District.  As you might imagine, there is a lot of violence and fights and sexual encounters. On top of that there are the racial tensions (Robert Charles Riot) and it's a wonder anyone survived.