Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Ospedale della Pieta, Venice

I came across The Glassblower of Murano by Marina Fiorato at the library this week (as most of you know I love all things relating to Venice). I have only read the first few chapters (review to follow at a later date) but one thing that piqued my interest was the reference to Ospedale della Pieta. Apparently hospitals (ospedale) were not built in Italy just for the sick, they were also used as orphanages. Ospedale della Pieta was one such orphanage and Vivaldi, who was born near the ospedale, took an interest in the musical accomplishments of the girls, and a wonderful choir and orchestra was formed. Most of the girls were the illegitimate children of noblemen, anonymously left at the ospedale through a small opening (revolving drawer) in a wall.