Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, January 9, 2015

Armed and Dangerous by Madison Johns

Armed and Outrageous, Book 1Armed and Dangerous by Madison Johns was different from what I expected and I did find it a bit over the top with two seniors divulging TMI. (It's currently free for Kindle)

From Goodreads: Agnes Barton is not your typical senior citizen living in Tadium, MI, on the shores of Lake Huron. She drives a red hot Mustang, shops at Victoria's Secret, rankles local police officials, and has a knack for sticking her nose where it doesn't belong. 

I wasn't too sure how to write my thoughts on this book. There were some funny moments, but others were too embellished and not like a usual cozy mystery. Below are reviews on Goodreads which I think covers what most reviewers are saying.

Reviews From Goodreads:
1. I wanted to love this book, I really did. And while I found a good portion of it to be humorous, there were also situations that left me wishing I could gouge out my mind's eye. I feel like it had a good plot, but that the story could have been told a bit more concisely. The idea of a senior citizen sleuth with a touch of a wild side was intriguing to me, just for the simple fact that is shows your life doesn't end just because you're getting older. However, I felt that the author went overboard in trying to make Agnes' character edgy. Entertaining for what it was, but I don't foresee myself reading more from this series. 

2. I'm going to stick with this through to the end, but so far I'm not really getting into this. Lots of veering way from the story and a little crass in places. Some of the writing doesn't flow and it is taking away from the mystery for me. However, I am intrigued by the main plot and will stick with it until the end and normally I just stop books I'm not enjoying, so that says something about Agnes and Eleanor and their sleuthing adventures. Compelling ideas, and I love the idea of an older female detective duo, but too much crude humor and disjointed writing for my mystery tastes.