Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, December 19, 2014

By Cook or by Crook by Maya Corrigan

I was fortunate to receive an Advanced Reader Copy from Maya Corrigan of By Cook or by Crook. It's the first book in a new series.

From the Cover:
Haunted by the car accident that ended her career as a cookbook publicist, Val Deniston has traded in the chaos of New York City for a quieter life near the Chesapeake Bay. Living with her curmudgeonly grandfather in the tourist town of Bayport is hardly glamorous, but she enjoys working at the Cool Down Cafe at the local fitness club and finally has time to work on her long-planned cookbook. But when one of the club's patrons is found dead, she'll have to cook up a scheme to find the killer.

My thoughts:
First of all, receiving the free copy didn't influence my review.
Maya Corrigan is a winner of the Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery and Suspense and I can see why. She kept me guessing throughout the book and took me on many twists and turns. This is a five ingredient mystery: Five suspects, five ingredient recipes and five clues. I loved Val's grandpa, he's a great character. Often when lots of characters are thrown in, I get easily confused, but I didn't find that to be the case in Ms. Corrigan's mystery. Having recipes in the back is a big plus. All in all it was a good read, and well plotted - I'll look out for more Maya Corrigan's books.