Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Monday, July 29, 2013

What is a Cozy Mystery?

Although I loved Agatha Christie's books I never considered them a genre of their own. They were simply mysteries in a cozy setting. Writing World describes cozy mysteries as a bloodless crime, Cozy-Mystery.Com notes that the protagonist is usually a woman amateur sleuth, Nathan Bransford describes a cozy as a book you would want to curl up with on a cold rainy afternoon, others compare them to the Murder She Wrote series.

But cozies, in my opinion, are described by what is missing from a mystery/thriller:
There are no gruesome details
An animal or pet never, never, never gets hurt or killed
The protagonist/sleuth is rarely in danger
The profession of the sleuth is not in law enforcement
The setting is not a large city (those are hard boiled mysteries) but in an enclosed area - a village, or house

If you love cozies, hop on over to CozyMystery.Com where there is a wealth of information







4 comments:

K9friend said...

I've always wondered about that. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Pat
Critter Alley

Joanne said...

and you need to say (modestly) that this is your specialty.

Judy Croome | @judy_croome said...

As I read this I realised I never actually knew what a "cosy mystery" was. I just learned something new! :)

Darlene said...

I agree. I love cozies but never seem to get to read a lot of them.