4 oz butter (I used margarine)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp almond extract
1/4 cup flour
1 large egg
1 cup ground almonds (I used the G.E. version of the Magic Bullet to ground the almonds)
1 cup icing sugar (the recipe was for 1 1/2 cups but I thought this was too much)
Water (enough to make the icing easy to spread on top with a spatula)
(I used left over frozen puff pastry and it turned out fine with the flaky pastry)
- Roll out the pastry to 1/2 cm thickness and put in a tart tin (I used a disposable pie plate)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place wax paper on top and add a few beans or large breadcrumbs to stop the center from rising (you may need to pat it down when it comes out of the oven). Bake for 15-20 minutes and remove the beans/bread.
- Meanwhile, cream the sugar and butter together until pale and fluffy then gradually add the egg, and almond extract (if it starts to curdle, add a little flour)
- Fold in almonds and flour
- Spread jam over the pastry. You don't need too much, about the amount you would put on bread.
- Spoon the creamed mixture over the jam and even out using a spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 mins until golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Add water slowly to the icing sugar to make a smooth paste. Pour over tart until covered. I added some almond slices for decoration, but glace cherries are another good choice if you can find them.