Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Baker Hotel Renovation

Many of you know that the setting I used for the Berton Hotel cozy mystery was Mineral Wells and most of the descriptions used in the novel were from the Baker Hotel which is a building that has fascinated me for years. The hotel closed nearly forty years ago, and because of the decay, tours of the building stopped.

There has been talk over the years of re-opening the hotel, but until recently these plans seemed to have fizzled out. That was until The Baker Hotel Development Group discussed plans to make The Baker Hotel in to condos, but then decided on a restoration.
I wasn't able to find any information regarding the restoration status, but The Baker Hotel does have a Facebook page (here).




2 comments:

Celia Yeary said...

Hi--I couldn't pass up this post about the Baker Hotel. It dredges up a lot of memories. My mother was born in Mineral Wells, and she died there, too, two years this coming August--but living in West Texas for many years inbetween.
I was born in Salesville--8 mi. N of MW, as was my younger sister. My daddy's family lived down the road from us.
The Baker--my other grandmother--Mother's mother--live in MW,too, of course, and for years she was the manager of the enormous laundry in the basement. My mother, at a young age of about 14, worked in the laundry, too, until she married Daddy and moved to Salesville. I still have some relative in MW.
As child I remember the shops on the lower floor, but nothing else, really, about the hotel itself.
I don't see how they can ever do anything with the building..but you never know.
I enjoyed your photos, too. Thanks.

Joanne said...

I hate to see a historic building torn down or go to waste. I know it's a lot of money to restore, but I hope they can make it work.