Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Black Velvet Gown - Catherine Cookson

I discovered Catherine Cookson books in the 1970s twenty years after she wrote her first one. Not unlike her own life, each of the stories were about people (usually women) bettering themselves. They started with nothing and often by a chance acquaintance with a member of the gentry were uplifted to a higher place in society. Each of these were strong women with great determination - something Catherine Cookson herself was well known for. She wrote nearly 100 books in her lifetime and many of them became either a movie or mini series. As her books went on to sell millions, she became known as one of the great philanthropists of England.

Catherine Cookson grew up in a home which wasn't as it seemed. As an older child she found out her sister was her mother and her grandfather was actually her father. This type of family secret plays out in many of her books.

I came across the Black Velvet Gown DVD at the library today. If you haven't read any of Catherine Cookson's books, pick one up. They are well worth the read and you may, like me, get hooked.

A list of Catherine Cookson's books here

10 comments:

BeWitchy said...

Sounds like a great read.
Thanks again for visiting my blog.

Purple Queen Fairy said...

Thank you for coming by my blog. It's an honour. Do come again :)

K9friend said...

It's been a while since I read Catherine Cookson, but I always enjoyed her stories.

Pat
Critter Alley

Joanne said...

sounds like good reads. I admit I've never heard her name.

The Tote Trove said...

I never heard of Catherine Cookson, but she seems like my kind of author (and just at a time when I'm ripe for new reads!).

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I think I've read this author...but a long time ago! I'll look for her books and read one! I'm so happy to learn more about you, too! I lived in Texas many years and loved it there! Your banner with the Texas bluebonnets is beautiful! ♥

Glynis said...

Catherine Cookson is my inspiration to write! I love her style.

Shelley said...

I discovered Catherine Cookson in the States quite a while ago, but read a few more of her novels after moving to the North East of England, near where she was from. I must admit that although I think she was a good writer, after a while I found her stories a bit predictable. She wrote about the lifestyle of her background and so there is a common theme throughout her books. She was a hugely successful writer, no question, and also a generous philanthropist. I must go across the river to her birthplace - they are extremely proud of her there, with a big sign that tells you you're in Catherine Cookson country!

Cozy in Texas said...

I agree they are a bit predictible, but I love them just the same. When I first came to the U.S. I thought I'd found new books by her and bought loads only to find out that different covers and titles were used here for books that I'd already read in England. Not sure why publishers do that.
Ann

Luci & Loree said...

Yes, love Catherine Cookson, Discovered her about the same time u did!! They are a good read.