Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, September 30, 2011

Pack of Two by Caroline Knapp

The cover states "Readers don't have to be confirmed dog lovers or even dog owners to enjoy trailing along." But I don't think people who are not dog lovers would understand the connection between a dog and their owner.

From Goodreads.com
 At the age of 36, Caroline Knapp, author of the acclaimed bestseller Drinking:A Love Story, found herself confronted with a monumental task: redefining her world. She had faced the loss of both her parents, given up a twenty-year relationship with alcohol, and, as she writes, "I was wandering around in a haze of uncertainty, blinking up at the biggest questions: Who am I without parents and without alcohol? How to form attachments, and where to find comfort, in the face of such daunting vulnerability?" An answer materialized in the most unlikely form: that of a dog. Eighteen months to the day after she quit drinking, Knapp stumbled upon an eight-week-old puppy at a local animal shelter, took her home, and named her Lucille. Now two years old, Lucille has become a central force in Knapp's life: "In her," she writes, "I have found solace, joy, a bridge to the world."

Reviews of Pack of Two by Caroline Knapp on Goodreads was mixed. People either loved it or hated it. I can't remember who recommended it to me, but it wasn't what I expected. Someone mentioned that Caroline Knapp's writing was a little neurotic and I have to agree.