Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, March 25, 2011

Everywhere That Mary Went

I recently watched Lisa Scottoline on the television show, Murder by the Book, and liked her approach to researching true crimes for her novels. I picked up her first book, Everywhere That Mary Went.

Who can you trust when Everyone you know is a lawyer?
Mary DiNunzio has been slaving away to make partner in her cutthroat Philadelphia law firm. . . Mary can't shake the sensation that someone is watching her. The shadowboxing turns deadly when her worst fears are realized.

Along with her fears of being stalked, are the dynamics of the DiNunzio family - Mary's loss of a close relationship with her twin sister and all the drama that goes along with being Italian/Catholic.

Lisa Scottoline did a great job at building tension and keeping the reader guessing. I was not disappointed. As a trial lawyer, she has inside knowledge of working for a large law firm and was not shy in acquainting the reader with all that goes on in the inner sanctum. I did find the present tense narrative a little distracting though and wonder if all her novels are written this way.

10 comments:

Christy said...

I love reading myteries but have strayed away for one reason or another. Thanks for sparking my interest again! Have a great weekend....

Vickie said...

This is my absolute favorite of the series.

Mason Canyon said...

Lisa Scottoline is one of my favorite authors. I enjoy both her mysteries and her humor. She's one of those authors who can keep you glued to the book until the very end.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Tiger Holland said...

Returning the visit and following! I haven't tried this author yet, but I knwo she's one of the major players in the genre.

Joanne said...

Her novels can be similar, but in a good way. She's comfortable in her writing skin and that's her style. I enjoy all the running around the Philly area - Yo, I know where she's at, and sometimes the food stops make me hungry. I could eat a good cheesesteak sandwich right this minute.

Helen Ginger said...

It might be interesting to read just to see how she handled the present tense narrative! That would take some getting used to.

BookBelle said...

I've seen many Lisa Scottoline books that looked great. I just haven't gone there yet. I'll have to check one out soon.

Anna said...

I haven't read anything by Scottoline, but I heard her speak at a book festival a couple of years ago and she was very entertaining. My sister is reading one of her books right now, and she says she can't put it down.

Sandy Ruth said...

I heard Lisa Scottoline speak at the Miami International Book Fair years ago and was taken by her enthusiasm. She showed up with a glowing red sunburn and joked that her entire family filled the back row of the lecture room. They cheered, applauded, and whistled in support of her presentation! Lisa shared a lot of writing wisdom (without promoting too strongly) and everybody in the audience had a good time. I was happy to find that her humor and knowledge of the law come through in her books. I'll read this one next.

bermudaonion said...

Scottoline has a lot of fans. I read one of her books and thought it was okay. I think I need to try another one.