Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, December 10, 2010

What Difference Do it Make?

When asked to suggest a title for the second book in the Ron Hall and Denver Moore series, Denver's response was "What difference do it make?"

Although the story of the unlikely friendship of an art dealer and a homeless man is amazing, I nevertheless found that What Difference do it Make to be repetitive of their first book. Many of the stories were repeated, interspersed with how Same Kind of Different as me has affected readers.  They have made a difference to the homeless community in many towns and Denver Moore and Ron Hall takes us into the world of the homeless. If you are looking for a book club read I recommend Same Kind of Different as me. There are many areas for lively discussion and a look into sharecropping and homelessness.  Book club questions here

14 comments:

K9friend said...

It's disappointing when a sequel doesn't generate the same enthusiasm as the original. Thanks for the heads up!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Ann Best said...

The first book by them interests me since my brother was homeless for a while, and I actually "saved" him, as he says, from being homeless. I learned a little bit about the homeless world from this experience.

I'm also interested in your titles, and I'm glad you came over to my blog, however you found me, and commented. Thus, I was able to come over here and meet you!! I also like to meet new writers. I'm now following you.
Ann Best, Long Journey Home

iamjenai said...

found you thru the hop and im a new follower.

happy friday!

Mason Canyon said...

Hadn't heard of these, but they do sound interesting.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Joanne said...

That's a shame about the sequel. I enjoyed the first book that you let me borrow. Not normally my genre, but it was a great read and very inspirational. Thanks for this review and heads up.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

very interesting! i think my mom read the first one too. sorry this one didn't live up!

Susan said...

Sounds interesting - too bad you found it disappointing. I hate that.

Glad to have found you via the Hop!

Cozy in Texas said...

Although the latest book did have a lot of repetition, I was encouraged to hear that so much good and enlightenment has come from publication of Same Kind of Different as Me.
Ann

Jennifer Shirk said...

I don't know why but second books in a series are never as good as the first to me.
I wonder if it's pressure to produce a second one and it's rushed or what.
Sounds like a cool premise though. Will check out the first one for sure.

Caroline (Bon Bons and Reveries) said...

Hi! thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm your newest follower.
Have a great week :)
Caroline @ Bon Bons and Reveries

Pooch said...

Hi Ann, Thanks for stopping by my blog! DH and I were cozy in TX while visiting dear son & our grands. Now we're freezing in St. Louis visiting dear daughter and the grands here.

I enjoyed your book review.

:)

Book Bird Dog said...

The world of the homeless in a novel sounds like a very good read!

Heather said...

Thanks for coming to visit my sunset.

The Crazy Bookworm said...

Hi Ann! To answer your gravatar question...I have no idea! The list was directly from 'Maw Books'' blog and I actually had to google a couple things myself because I did't know what they were. But whatever it may be I doubt I'll need it.

Happy Holidays!