Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Acting English


Shappi Khorsandi was a guest on the Graham Norton Show (BBC America) a few weeks ago. Born in Iran, she moved with her family to England when she was three and a half or as her father would say "Half past three." A Beginner's Guide to Acting English is not only humorous, but Shappi takes a look at the English customs from the point of view of a young child along with insight into the struggles of her relatives left behind in Iran. To read more about Shappi Khorsandi take a look at the Sunday Times article.

7 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I'm wondering about the difference there would be in English (in England) and English (in America).

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Joanne said...

So, have you been acting English all along? I think you've got it down pretty well. Only a bit cheeky. Ha!

sounds interesting.

Bellezza said...

I think it's always fun to take a look at one's culture from another point of view; we all have such unique and silly ways that we just take for granted! (I was told never to eat with my fingers; the beautiful Indian children and their parents don't use silverware at all; we're both right!) This looks like an interesting book.

Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday.

Vickie said...

I saw this interview (LOVE Graham Norton), but missed the part where she said she wrote a book. I will add this to the WWBL, thanks for the cranium's up.

lv2scpbk said...

I haven't read this one but right now will be starting the book called, The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. A book group I'm going to join (maybe) is reading this for their July pick. Have you ever read it. Do you have a goodreads account or have I asked you before? Here's mine.. www.goodreads.com/lv2scpbk

Cozy in Texas said...

I haven't heard of the Glass Castle I'll take a look. It may be good for our book club too. I did look at Goodreads but I think it's something that I might end up spending too much time on.

K9friend said...

Thanks for the heads up. Always looking for a good read!

Pat