Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fairmount Tour of Homes










The Fairmount Tour of Homes has become an annual Mother's Day event for my daughter and me and we were joined this year by Joanne from WordSplash and our friend Linda. Fairmount was developed as a middle-class residential area between 1890 and 1938. Many of the homes are Craftsman style. The Fairmount Neighborhood Association has worked tirelessly toward historic recognition and achieved their goal and were placed on the National Registry in 1990. Each year there are six or more houses that can be toured. Many have interesting stories such as the Rodriguez Home which was originally built by a prominent Fort Worth surgeon who is credited with saving the city from a meningitis epidemic in 1910. While looking at one of the houses, I came across a yellow house that I had taken a picture of last year and used to describe a home in Storms & Secrets. The story is fictional, but is based in the Fairmount area.

8 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Beautiful homes and what a great way to spend Mother's Day. Sounds like you had a great day with your daughter. Happy Mother's Day.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

K9friend said...

It's so much fun to tour homes. Whether historic, elegant, or charming, there's always something to enjoy.

Joanne said...

Very fun day and it was indeed great to see the actual house inspiration and neighborhood setting for your book. You definitely did justice to the area. Keep writing!

Heather said...

Thats a lovely way to spend mother's day. Getting out and about and really watching around me seems to be an excellent way of jogging ideas. There are so many wonderful sights out there such as the yellow house.

Teresa said...

What beautiful homes. That is a great way to spend Mother's Day. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love Cozy Mysteries. I'll have to check yours out.

Alexia561 said...

I love old houses, and #2 especially caught my eye. Gorgeous! Too bad there are no home tours in my area, as it sounds like fun!

Stacy said...

what gorgeous homes! and i bet you may have a few setting ideas for your cozy mysteries in some of those homes too! what fun to spend that time with your daughter! btw, thanks for dropping by A Novel Source!

Vickie said...

These are such lovely homes.
Thank you for visiting my blog! I've added you to my blog roll so that I can follow along.