Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Baker Hotel


National Novel Writing Month is well under way and I began researching the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells to use as the basis of my novel. James Lynch and his family settled west of Fort Worth around 1870 and discovered the funny tasting water from their well seemed to alleviate Mrs. Lynch's rheumatism. Word spread and Mineral Wells grew. In the 1920s the citizens of Mineral Wells raised money to build a hotel and T.B. Baker, who had built many hotels around the country, built the Baker hotel. The hotel opened just two weeks before the stock market crash but continued to thrive with film stars and politicians visiting frequently. The long list includes Marlene Dietrich, Dale Evans, Clark Gable, Judy Garland, Jean Harlow and Lyndon Johnson. The Baker Hotel is now closed but there is hope that one day it will be renovated to its former glory.