Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, March 2, 2018

A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny

A Fatal Grace is the second book in a Three Pines Mystery by Louise Penny. I have mixed feelings about the the mystery. While Louise Penny is a wonderful writer and I loved the twists and turns, I was a little confused by the backstory. It has been sometime since I read Still Life so wasn't sure if the references to the "Arnot case" was something the reader should have been familiar with or if the story was being held back and would be revealed later in A Fatal Grace. Also, the appearance of Agent Yvette Nichol, and her motives that were hinted at, were never actually revealed at the end. While I understand that there are some things that carry on from book to book in a series, I didn't like that there were a few mysteries that weren't tied up at the end.

From the cover:
Welcome to winter in Three Pines, a picturesque village in Quebec, where the villagers are preparing for a traditional country Christmas, and someone is preparing for murder.
No one liked CC de Poiters. Not her quiet husband, not her spineless lover; not her pathetic daughter - and certainly none of the residents of Three Pines. CC de Poitiers managed to alienate everyone, right up until the moment of her death.
When Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, of the Surete du Quebec, is called to investigate, he quickly realizes he's dealing with someone quite extraordinary.