Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, December 15, 2017

Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom

We're coming up on the season of peace and goodwill to all and Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom just about covers both. You may remember Mitch Albom's other books, Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven.
The story begins with Mitch's rabbi asking him if he will perform his eulogy after his demise and it starts Mitch thinking about his Jewish faith and how it has fallen by the wayside. To get to know Albert Lewis, the rabbi, Mitch began meeting him periodically and during those times he discovered a man of faith, tradition, forgiveness and unconditional love who had lived a good life.
"Look I know what I believe. It's in my soul. But I constantly tell our people: You should be convinced of the authenticity of what you have, but you must also be humble enough to say that we don't know everything. and since we don't know everything, we must accept that another person may believe something else."
During his journey, Mitch came across another man of faith but one who had been involved in the drug trade, jailed for a murder he didn't commit and, until he accepted Jesus, was doomed for failure.
This is a powerful book about acceptance, being content with the life you have and loving people where they are, not trying to change their religion or their beliefs.

So, have we solved the secret of happiness?
"I believe so," he said.
Are you going to tell me?
"Yes. Ready?"
Ready.
"Be satisfied."
That's it?
"Be grateful."
That's it?
"For what you have. For the love you receive. And for what God has given you."
That's it?
He looked me in the eye. Then he sighed deeply.
"That's it."

Following his Tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch Albom put together several charities. He believes in paying it forward and ten percent of his book sales are donated to charity.