Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Sunday, September 25, 2022

Vernon Castle

Benbrook has a memorial for Vernon Castle. As a child, I remember seeing Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in a movie called The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle.  Vernon Castle and his wife, Irene were ballroom dancers in the years preceding WWI. After WWI, Vernon Castle taught aviation students at a base just outside Fort Worth, Texas. While on an exercise, his plane stalled and he crashed and died at a site in Benbrook where there is a memorial and a street (Vernon Castle Avenue) named after him. 

Canadian Flight Squadrons were sent to Fort Worth/Benbrook, Texas during the winter months to train. I came across an old photograph titled The Village of Benbrook taken by Sgt. Christopher Devros an English flight instructor with the 84th Canadian Training Squadron.