Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Jeep Liberty Review

At the end of 2004 I purchased a Jeep Liberty Sport from Moritz in Fort Worth. According to Consumer Reports there weren't any major problems with this model. And they have been correct engine-wise. Although there was a recall of the ball joint, the only other problem I have had is the window mechanism. Without warning the windows slide down periodically and so far the dealer has been accommodating in fixing the problem until this week when I had the same problem with the driver's side window.

In August 2007 a rear window was replaced and was under warranty.

In 2009 the same window slipped down and the regulator cable was replaced. I was charged $318. I found out that three other people I work with had the same problem with their Jeeps and after confronting the manager, he admitted that they were aware that there was a manufacturing problem with the  window mechanism and my money was refunded. I was assured a new part was used and there would be no further problems.

In 2011 the same window slipped down and the mechanism was repaired again at no charge.

A few months later the driver's side window slipped down and I was told the lift plate needed to be replaced. They suggested, to prevent further problems, that all four lift plates be replaced at a cost of $200 (this included the one that was repaired only 8 months previously which I was assured at the time would not be a problem).

I didn't feel I had much option and again I was assured that once the lift plates were repaired it would solve the problem once and for all. After the work was completed I again asked for reassurance that this part would solve the problem. I was told there was only a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the part.

I had intended to keep the vehicle for 10 years and then purchase a new vehicle, but I won't be returning to Moritz nor will I purchase another Chrysler vehicle. They knew the manufacturer had installed a faulty part, knew that the replacement was inadequate and at one time told me Chrysler was considering a recall. If this was normal wear and tear I would have no problem paying for this as the vehicle is 8 years old, but apart from the frustration of returning several times for the work to be done and on top of that having to pay $200 for repair of a mechanism they knew was faulty is bad customer service.

I have been a customer for over 20 years and have purchased both new and used vehicles from them and also used them for service and maintenance. It's a shame that they were willing to lose a customer over $200.

More Jeep reviews/window complaints:
Car Complaints - windows fail
E-How - Jeep Liberty Window Problems
Jeep Problems - Window Regulator
Townhall Talk - Jeep Review
Fixya - Jeep Liberty Sport
Topix - Chrysler
Car Complaints - Window Regulator