Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Help

I loved reading The Help so when offered tickets for a movie preview I was delighted.  The Movie Tavern on 7th Street made seats available to a select audience. 


The writer/director (Tate Taylor) and producer (Chris Columbus) of The Help brought the book to life in Greenwood, a small town on the Mississippi Delta. The movie stayed quite close to the novel apart from a few changes. It's been a long time since I read the book, but I believe the story of the maid in Skeeter's house had been changed. Quite a few scenes were removed, but didn't affect the story. The homes of the characters were just as I had imagined them and the cast was well chosen. I do recommend reading the book because the characters were interwoven so much deeper than could have possibly been portrayed in a movie, but this is the one time where I think the movie was true to both the story and characters.  


15 comments:

Vishy said...

Nice review, Ann! I haven't read 'The Help' yet. I want to read it before watching the movie. It looks like the movie was wonderful from your description. I can't wait to watch it!

Joanne said...

I'm jealous. Loved the book. Psyched for the movie. Very cool and glad you liked both

Shauna said...

Just making sure you got the email that you won a book over at http://bookgiveaways.blogspot.com/ I sent to you yesterday morning. Please email me your mailing address asap to: tryingtostaycalm@gmail.com

K9friend said...

I'm so glad you liked the movie! I absolutely adored the book and was afraid the movie might disappoint me. Sounds like I'll definitely be going now!

Pat

dancingbythelight.com said...

Glad to read a good review of this movie, I'm very excited to see it! I'm glad they didn't "mess" it up. :)

bookdout said...

I can't believe I haven't read this yet though I have meaning to for over a year. Hopefully I will have by the time it comes out on DVD since I don't go to the movies LOL

Thanks for stopping by Book'd Out earlier!

Shelleyrae
www.bookdout.wordpress.com

Jade said...

I really want to see this movie. I haven't read the book yet, but hear it's great. I'm going to have to pick it up soon. Thanks for stopping through! new follower. Have a great weekend.

Ems said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I had a hard time getting into The Help at the beginning, but I'm SO glad I stuck with it because it ended up being one of the best books I've ever read. Can't wait to see if the film does it justice!

have a great weekend,
Ems

Nicki J Markus said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. New follower here wishing you a great weekend.

Clarissa Draper said...

I like it when they write the screenplay close to the movie. Can't wait to see it and read it.

Claire said...

Glad the movie will not be a disappointment. I loved the book, but was a bit worried when I saw the movie preview.

Gigi Ann said...

First let me thank you for visiting My Reading Corner today.

I was on the fence about this book, but after your review, it is now on my TBR list.

blog said...

Oooh, I'm so jealous!

I'm really looking forward to the movie, but was also worried-- there was so much in the book, and it isn't possible to get everything into a movie, at least not one of a normal length. I'm relieved to hear they made reasonable tradeoffs.

Ashley said...

I love the book! I recently shared it with my mother, who also loves the story. We're hoping to see the movie too! Glad to hear they didn't ruin the book with the movie! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog

Donna said...

Love your Blog!
Can't wait to see this...and I LOVE a good English Cozy...MC Beaton has been a favorite writer of mine...
Hope it rains Soon!
Donna