Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen

A friend recently gave me The Bone Garden by author Tess Gerritsen - A New York Times bestseller. (Tess Gerritsen's characters were used in the TV series Rizzoli and Isles). The book is well written and Ms. Gerritsen does a great job at weaving a story between two centuries. However, the graphic details of autopsies and an amputation were not easy to read. The beginning starts with uncovering a body in the garden of a newly acquired house and after examination by Maura Isles, she determines that the death was not recent. I liked the historical accounts and delving into the reasons for infections (medical students and doctors did not consider hand washing a priority) and there was plenty of tension. At over 500 pages I thought it could have been condensed somewhat and found myself speed reading over some parts.  All in all it was a great mystery with a surprising ending.   

10 comments:

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am a new follower :)

Kate said...

I own this book, but it's still sitting on my tbr pile, despite the fact that I devoured the Rizzoli and Isles series... Sounds like I need to pick it up again!

Misha said...

I have this book on my wishlist! Thanks for the review!

Linda said...

Hi, thank you for your recent visit and sweet comments. I love cozy mysteries and A Graceful Death is on my wish list. hugs, Linda

BookQuoter said...

I have just discovered her, so this is a timely review for me to read. Thanks!

Joanne said...

sounds like another winner.

Sandy Ruth said...

Reminds me of Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs. Sometimes creepy but always interesting. Thanks for posting this review.

K9friend said...

H'mmm. Sounds interesting. I'm not one for gory details, but do love historical fiction. Thanks for the heads up!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Glynis said...

I love her books, and as a nurse I have no problem with the gory bits. Nice review. :)

Elizabeth said...

I read this book as well...it was pretty interesting and you learned some things also.


http://silversolara.blogspot.com