Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, November 19, 2010

Confederacy of Dunces

When a true genius appears in the world,
you may know him by this sign, that the dunces
are all in confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

While at the Book Festival in Austin this year we met several humorous authors who said their favorite book is A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Although John Kennedy Tool's book was turned down by publishers during his lifetime, it nevertheless went on to become a Pulitzer Price winner. Toole weaves his quirky characters, in and out of each other's lives. Each has their own form of New Orleans dialect and leading the pack is Ignatius Reilly. Reilly, prompted by a frustrated mother, has a succession of jobs, interspersed with journal writing. Slovenly and eccentric looking with a pompous attitude, disaster follows Ignatius around New Orleans (he has an aversion to leaving the town).  Read a review here.

Book Club questions here

10 comments:

Bookfool said...

Ann,

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I deleted your comment because it contained a link, but don't take that personally. It's just a policy of mine, not posting anything with links for the safety of my readers.

I read A Confederacy of Dunces many years ago. The writing really blew me away, but it was so disgusting at times. That's what I remember, more than anything (the sheets -- ugh!). I was sad to find that the author committed suicide before he was published. He really was a truly brilliant writer.

Bookwoman said...

Stopping by from the Book Blogger Hop. I love cozy mysteries and I'm a transplanted Texan. I'm looking forward to exploring your blog more.

Bookwoman (aka Booklady's Booknotes)

Rebecca Glenn said...

Hey there! Following you now from the blog hop. Hope you'll stop by and visit (and maybe follow : - )

Becky (The Book Frog)

jenclair said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

You are a "no reply" commenter, so I couldn't email you with a response about Hillgarth's age in WWI, but I did post a comment in reply.

I read Confederacy years ago and enjoyed it; it was an adventure into an entirely different world from my own!

Janna said...

Howdy! Found you via the Hop... Confederacy is a very funny book. Read it years ago and really liked it!

I'm a new follower!

Janna
http://www.primoreads.com/

Lindsi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jenclair said...

When your comment comes to my email, and I try to respond, it comes up with "no reply commenter."

Easy to fix (if you want to):

go to dashboard
look to the upper left
select edit profile

under privacy -
select - show my profile
select - show my email address

under identity -
ADD - your desired online email address

click save profile

That way, when you comment on someone's blog, and they want to email a reply, your email is available. I love knowing that someone has read my comment on their blog without having to go back to the blog post to check. :)

....Petty Witter said...

Thanks for dropping by Pen and Paper. Sorry I've been a while in getting back to you, I have a chest infection so am visiting as and when I feel able.

Quirky characters, I love them. Thanks for the link to your review, I'm away there now.

Helen Ginger said...

I've heard of A Confederacy of Dunces, but hadn't heard much about the books itself. With that many different dialects, was it difficult to read?

Cozy in Texas said...

No, Helen it wasn't difficult to read and definitely added to the "feel" for the character.
Ann