Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Austin Book Festival - Day 2

On the second day we navigated the halls of the Capital Building and attended two sessions both of which were humorous. Julie Klausner shared her stories from her recent publication and it was obvious why she is an accomplished improv comedienne. Her book has been optioned by HBO for a series. She shared with us some of her disastrous dating experiences (not for the feint of heart). The next session, Not all that Noir: Wickedly Funny Crime Fiction, was a panel of two screenwriters and an ex-lawyer - Mark Haskell Smith, Lou Berney and Jonathan Woods.  Lou Berney wrote his novel, Gutshot Straight, during the writer's strike. Each of the panel brought a unique style of humor and strayed from their writing experiences by conducting mock zoning hearings while seated in the Senate Chamber.

7 comments:

K9friend said...

Ahhh! Nothing better than a little humor in writing. The book festival sounds like a resounding success!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Joanne said...

fun times and Julie should not have appeared before noon. Glad she wasn't at the church. Huge lightning strike for sure.
good pics

The Shanty Girl said...

This sounds like so much fun, how does one mix crime with humour?
Sounds very interesting! Thanks for stopping by my place!

Helen Ginger said...

I bet Julie was great! I started to say, I'd like her book, but there were so many authors there, if you bought the book of everyone you'd be broke!

Donna said...

Looks like you really enjoyed the Book Festival! I stopped here after replying to your comment on my blog. I said I would visit your blog to "see if it focuses on cozy mysteries." And does it ever! You're a cozy writer. How exciting! I've added you to my reader.

Sharon's Garden of Book Reviews said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I wanted to attend the Book Festival this year, but life got in the way! Maybe next year!

Sherry said...

I wish I could have made it to the book festival in Austin this year--maybe next.

You are cordially invited to add a link to your book reviews for the week at my Saturday Review of Books at Semicolon. It's a sort of round-up of bloggers' book reviews each week on Saturday:
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=11766