Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Dog Rescues




Anyone who knows me also knows that I am a dog lover and have been known to pick up stray dogs - I keep an emergency supply of food and water in the back of my car. Both my dogs were unwanted - one a neighbor gave me after they grew tired of her (she was only a year old) and were going to have her euthanized, the other was a stray who decided he was going to live on our front porch. They are now both part of the family.
Apparently, it's hereditary. Last night I received a call from my daughter. They had been celebrating a friend's birthday and a dog wandered up to them covered in burrs and fleas, but nontheless with a wagging tail. My daughter and her husband took her to the emergency vet clinic and she became very lethargic. She was probably dehydrated after wandering the streets in heat that has topped the 100s for days on end. Still at the vets for tests, she apparently woke up in better spirits and shredded her bedding. She's a puppy, and although lovable, with two large dogs at home a third will be a handful, but how could you discard a dog with those puppy eyes?