Welcome to my blog where I share book reviews
and life along the winding road

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Book Club - The Help


Our book club this month was the best ever. All five members showed up and four of us read the book. I enjoyed The Help and I admire Kathryn Stockett for plowing on even after getting over 50 rejections from agents/editors. It was well written and evoked empathy and humor. I found a list of questions on Book Browse and our discussions were based on those. Our favorite character was Minny with Skeeter coming in second. We had a long discussion on whether a person's character is shaped by the times in which they live. We felt it wasn't so much the times but the people around us. Skeeter was the one who was "color blind," but she moved away from the town for a while to attend college and had a different perspective. None of us liked the idea of the "pie." My favorite laugh-out-loud page is 115 - Skeeter's worse date ever.

8 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like an interesting book. It's one I'll have to add to my wish list.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Kim said...

Thank you for your link to questions. Our book club is reading this in July, so I will pass this along to our discussion leader that month. I haven't heard anyone who didn't like it, yet.

I love cozy mysteries! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

~*Belle*~ said...

We read this in our book club as well a couple months ago and had a great discussion about it. I loved Minny too :)

Joanne said...

impressive debut novel. I thought the author created well rounded characters - very distinctive voices. Good club choice!

K9friend said...

I love, love, love this book and have been recommended it to people since I read it over a year ago.

What a dynamite first novel!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Tiffany Norris said...

Can't wait to read this one!

Claire said...

This is on my list to read next - thanks for the link to the questions.

lv2scpbk said...

That was a really good book. I enjoyed it too. Are you on goodreads.com? A site where you list your books and reviews? If you are please add me to your friends list. Sounds like we enjoy the same type of books. My goodreads url is www.goodreads.com/lv2scpbk The lv2scpbk is short for Love to scrapbook. In case your wondering.