Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Friends, Fun and Poetry

Today I attended an informal poetry workshop which was led by David Evans and hosted by dear friends Martha and Jim Faulkner who live in a beautiful home overlooking the Weatherford countryside. David Evans, who is a Professor of English at the South Dakota State University, and his wife Jan drove here to share with us their love of poetry (Jan writes Haiku). While I am not an accomplished poet, as a writer I enjoy studying the poetry lines where every word counts. David pushed us all to attempt Haiku, Iambic Poetry and non-rhyming free verse. He showed us how to construct the words for the most impact. David, who was appointed Poet Laureate by the governor of South Dakota, has an enthusiasm for poetry that is contagious and the members of Trinity Writers Workshop appreciated the wonderful afternoon with such creative talents. You can read more about David Evans' accomplishments here.